February 4, 2014

Pretty succulent centerpiece

By Chelsea




January 28, 2013

What a difference a year makes! We had daffodils popping up in our garden due to the mild temps, so we transplanted the bulbs and brought them in to unleash. Definitely no daffodils trying to emerge this year...

But we're not without any popping fresh greens, either.

During a quick trip to Home Depot with my littles, (and my Mom!), we picked up 3 different real succulents, (because the fake ones are over 3 times the price)! 

These three ranged from $1.99 - $3.99ea.

I did a bit of research beforehand to learn how to take care of succulents. They like dry soil, sun, and do well in a shallow dish. I wanted to use a pretty green glass bowl I found at the thrift store a while back, but since it doesn't have holes for drainage I poured some rocks in first so the soil could sit on top of those, allowing water to drain into the rocks.

I had plenty of help ;) And I scooped a couple handfuls of rocks out after this picture. That was too many - I really just wanted a couple layers of rocks.

Then I added soil on top of the rocks

I dug three shallow holes and stuck the plants in. I haven't watered once, and it's been a week! I read that in the winter they go dormant, so they only need water 1-2 times a month. I don't know how I feel about that but I will trust those who know (wayyyyyy) more than me!






I love how this centerpiece turned out but only time will tell if it was successful! Anyone green thumbs out there have any suggestions to keep these babies happy?

Thanks for reading!

~Chelsea


1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and am in love with your home. The decorating is very similar to mine, so I might be biased. But a beautiful space is still a beautiful space. Your dining room table is amazing. Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete